Niger Catfish / Oxydoras niger
- Regular price
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Unit price
Common Name: Niger Catfish
Scientific Name: Oxydoras niger
Other Names: Dark doras, Black doras, Ripsaw catfish
Description: The Niger Catfish is a large freshwater catfish that can reach up to 3 feet in length in the wild, but usually grows to be around 1 to 2 feet in home aquariums. They are easily identified by their long, slender, silver body and their sharp, serrated spines that run along their back and sides. The fins are typically black or gray in color, and the eyes are very small in proportion to their body size. Their unique appearance and active nature make them an interesting addition to larger aquariums.
Habitat and Distribution:
The Niger Catfish is native to the Amazon River basin in South America. They are typically found in fast-moving rivers and streams, and they tend to congregate near submerged logs, rocks, and other structures. They prefer clean, well-oxygenated water and can be sensitive to poor water quality, making them more suitable for experienced aquarists who can maintain the water conditions they require.
Size and Lifespan:
The Niger Catfish can grow up to 3 feet in length in the wild, but usually grows to be around 1 to 2 feet in home aquariums. They have a lifespan of up to 15 years with proper care.
Diet and Behavior:
The Niger Catfish is a carnivorous species that primarily feeds on other fish, crustaceans, and insects in the wild. In captivity, they should be fed a variety of meaty foods, such as frozen or live shrimp, krill, bloodworms, and other protein-rich foods. They can be aggressive towards other fish and may eat smaller fish, so they should be kept with other large, peaceful species.
Breeding and Reproduction:
Breeding Niger Catfish in captivity is challenging and not common in the aquarium hobby.
Aquarium Care and Tank Requirements:
The Niger Catfish requires a large tank with a minimum size of 125 gallons. They prefer well-oxygenated, clean water with a pH range of 6.5 to 7.5 and a temperature range of 75 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. They also prefer a moderate to strong water flow in the tank. A sand substrate with hiding places, such as rocks and wood, are recommended.
Ideal Tank Mates:
Niger Catfish are best kept with other large, peaceful fish such as catfish, cichlids, and other large characins that can tolerate their aggressive behavior. They should not be kept with small, delicate or slow-moving fish.
The Niger Catfish can be challenging to keep due to their large size and specific water quality requirements, making them more suitable for experienced aquarists.
- Temperature: 75-80°F
- pH: 6.5-7.5
- General Hardness (GH): 2-15 dGH
- Carbonate Hardness (KH): 6-15 dKH
- Ammonia: 0 ppm
- Nitrite: 0 ppm
- Nitrate: <20 ppm
- Niger Catfish are also called ripsaw catfish due to the sharp spines that run along their back and sides, which can be dangerous to handle.
- They are also known for their excellent eyesight and their ability to quickly locate food in the tank.
- In the wild, Niger Catfish play an important role in the ecosystem by helping to keep populations of smaller fish and invertebrates in check.
Lowest Price Guarantee - Price Matching
We are so confident that we offer the lowest prices online that we made the terms for price matching very simple! Just fill out the form below if you find a better price elsewhere and we won't just match it, we will beat it by 5%!
- The fish must be of similar quality. This would include coloring, markings, and health.
- The fish must be the same size as the one we are advertising.
- The fish must be listed with another online retailer within the United States that specializes in Live Tropical Fish.
- The fish must be currently in stock and available for purchase now.
- Fish that are sold via private sale. This would include fish being sold from private collectors/hobbyists, eBay listings, Facebook listings, Aquabid listings, etc.
- Local Fish Store prices. We will only honor the prices of other online fish retailers. We will not match the price of a fish at your local brick and mortar store, unless they have a website where they also sell online and ship.
- Sale prices. We will guarantee a price match on the full listing price of our competitors. We will sometimes make exceptions for sales that our competitors run, but this is not guaranteed and is issued at our discretion.
- Fish that are currently out of stock.
Please note that this guarantee is not based solely on the price of the fish itself and does include any shipping cost. We will beat the final checkout price of our competitors including shipping and handling. Please submit a photo of the final checkout price offered by our competition in order for us to provide a price match.
Shipping & General Information
Hawaii: We do not ship to Hawaii
Live Arrival Guarantee / DOA Policy
We take great pride in our packaging and losses are a very rare occurrence, even when shipments are unexpectedly delayed. Live arrival is always guaranteed by default on every order, given the conditions below are met. If there are any DOA's in your order, we offer a store credit towards your next purchase for the full value of the lost livestock, minus any shipping charges. Shipping charges are non-refundable. To be eligible for a cash refund for the full value of the lost livestock instead of store credit, Shipping Protection must be included in your order.