MBU Puffer / Tetraodon mbu
- Regular price
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Unit price
Common Name: MBU Puffer
Scientific Name: Tetraodon mbu
Other Names: Giant Puffer, Giant Freshwater Pufferfish
The MBU Puffer is a large freshwater fish that is highly sought after by aquarists due to its unique appearance and interesting behavior. These fish have a stocky body with large, bulging eyes and a wide mouth filled with sharp teeth. They are usually gray or brown in color with a mottled pattern of darker spots or blotches on their skin. The MBU Puffer can inflate its body by taking in large amounts of water or air, making it appear much larger than it actually is. This behavior is used as a defense mechanism against predators in the wild.
Habitat and Distribution:
The MBU Puffer is native to the freshwater rivers and lakes of West Africa, specifically the Congo River basin. They are typically found in slow-moving or stagnant waters with plenty of vegetation and hiding places. In the wild, these fish are often found in deep, murky waters where they can ambush their prey.
Size and Lifespan:
The MBU Puffer is one of the largest species of freshwater pufferfish, growing up to 2 feet in length and weighing over 20 pounds. In captivity, they can reach a length of 18-20 inches. They have a relatively short lifespan, living on average for 8-10 years.
Diet and Behavior:
MBU Puffers are carnivorous and feed primarily on live or frozen foods such as shrimp, snails, and small fish. They are also known to feed on crustaceans and other invertebrates. In the wild, these fish are opportunistic hunters and will eat almost anything that they can fit in their mouths.
MBU Puffers are generally aggressive and solitary fish that do not get along well with others of their own kind or other fish species. They are known for their territorial behavior and may become aggressive if they feel their space is being invaded.
Aquarium Care and Tank Requirements:
Due to their large size, the MBU Puffer requires a spacious aquarium of at least 250 gallons. They prefer a dimly lit tank with plenty of hiding places, such as caves or overhangs. The substrate should be soft, as they are bottom dwellers and may injure themselves on rough surfaces. These fish also require a strong filtration system to keep the water clean and healthy.
Ideal Tank Mates:
The MBU Puffer is best kept alone or with other large, aggressive fish that can tolerate their territorial behavior. They should not be kept with smaller fish, as they may view them as prey.
The MBU Puffer is a challenging fish to keep and is recommended for experienced aquarists only. They require a large aquarium with specific water parameters and are sensitive to changes in water quality. They are also known for their aggressive behavior and may be difficult to handle during tank maintenance or when introducing new fish to the aquarium.
- Temperature: 72-82°F
- pH: 7.0-8.0
- General Hardness (GH): 8-12 dGH
- Carbonate Hardness (KH): 5-15 dKH
- Ammonia: 0 ppm
- Nitrite: 0 ppm
- Nitrate: < 40 ppm
- MBU Puffers are sometimes used as a food fish in parts of West Africa.
- These fish are known to be intelligent and can be trained to recognize their owners and perform simple tricks.
Lowest Price Guarantee - Price Matching
We are so confident that we offer the lowest prices online that we made the terms for price matching very simple! Just fill out the form below if you find a better price elsewhere and we won't just match it, we will beat it by 5%!
- The fish must be of similar quality. This would include coloring, markings, and health.
- The fish must be the same size as the one we are advertising.
- The fish must be listed with another online retailer within the United States that specializes in Live Tropical Fish.
- The fish must be currently in stock and available for purchase now.
- Fish that are sold via private sale. This would include fish being sold from private collectors/hobbyists, eBay listings, Facebook listings, Aquabid listings, etc.
- Local Fish Store prices. We will only honor the prices of other online fish retailers. We will not match the price of a fish at your local brick and mortar store, unless they have a website where they also sell online and ship.
- Sale prices. We will guarantee a price match on the full listing price of our competitors. We will sometimes make exceptions for sales that our competitors run, but this is not guaranteed and is issued at our discretion.
- Fish that are currently out of stock.
Please note that this guarantee is not based solely on the price of the fish itself and does include any shipping cost. We will beat the final checkout price of our competitors including shipping and handling. Please submit a photo of the final checkout price offered by our competition in order for us to provide a price match.
Shipping & General Information
Hawaii: We do not ship to Hawaii
Live Arrival Guarantee / DOA Policy
We take great pride in our packaging and losses are a very rare occurrence, even when shipments are unexpectedly delayed. Live arrival is always guaranteed by default on every order, given the conditions below are met. If there are any DOA's in your order, we offer a store credit towards your next purchase for the full value of the lost livestock, minus any shipping charges. Shipping charges are non-refundable. To be eligible for a cash refund for the full value of the lost livestock instead of store credit, Shipping Protection must be included in your order.