Peters’s Elephantnose / Gnathonemus petersii
- Regular price
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Unit price
As the name suggests, Peter's Elephantnose fish have a unique elephant trunk-like appearance. They are also known as elephant nose fish, long-nosed elephant fish, and Ubangi mormyrid. They dwell in the Ubangi River in Congo. These interesting fish find their prey through electrolocation. However, their electric discharge only produces a 1-volt current that is not noticeable to people. This large brained species has outstanding and impressive retinas with crystal-lined cups. It is able to see in the dark and unclear habitat where it lives.
These distinctive Peter's Elephantnose fish can grow up to 9 inches as an adult ad require a tank size of approximately 60 gallons or more. Since they prefer living in slow-moving waters that have muddy or sandy beds and bulks of vegetation, similar conditions in their tanks are desirable.
It is easy to feed them. Peter's Elephatnose fish are not picky; therefore, you can provide them with dried, frozen, or live foods. Moreover, you can also feed them any type of worms, including earthworms or bloodworms, since Peter's Elephantnose fish love worms. They should not be kept with aggressive species since it will cause trouble.
Common Name: Peters Elephant Nose Fish
Scientific Name: Gnathonemus petersii
Origin: Ubangi River in Congo.
Diet: You can feed them any live or frozen foods. Worms are an excellent choice since they love to eat them.
Adult Size: 9″
Recommended Tank Size: 90 gallon
Compatibility: Territorial towards their own kind. Peaceful for other species.
Preferred Water Parameters
pH: 6.8 – 7.5
Lowest Price Guarantee - Price Matching
We are so confident that we offer the lowest prices online that we made the terms for price matching very simple! Just fill out the form below if you find a better price elsewhere and we won't just match it, we will beat it by 5%!
- The fish must be of similar quality. This would include coloring, markings, and health.
- The fish must be the same size as the one we are advertising.
- The fish must be listed with another online retailer within the United States that specializes in Live Tropical Fish.
- The fish must be currently in stock and available for purchase now.
- Fish that are sold via private sale. This would include fish being sold from private collectors/hobbyists, eBay listings, Facebook listings, Aquabid listings, etc.
- Local Fish Store prices. We will only honor the prices of other online fish retailers. We will not match the price of a fish at your local brick and mortar store, unless they have a website where they also sell online and ship.
- Sale prices. We will guarantee a price match on the full listing price of our competitors. We will sometimes make exceptions for sales that our competitors run, but this is not guaranteed and is issued at our discretion.
- Fish that are currently out of stock.
Please note that this guarantee is not based solely on the price of the fish itself and does include any shipping cost. We will beat the final checkout price of our competitors including shipping and handling. Please submit a photo of the final checkout price offered by our competition in order for us to provide a price match.
Shipping & General Information
Hawaii: We do not ship to Hawaii
Live Arrival Guarantee / DOA Policy
We take great pride in our packaging and losses are a very rare occurrence, even when shipments are unexpectedly delayed. Live arrival is always guaranteed by default on every order, given the conditions below are met. If there are any DOA's in your order, we offer a store credit towards your next purchase for the full value of the lost livestock, minus any shipping charges. Shipping charges are non-refundable. To be eligible for a cash refund for the full value of the lost livestock instead of store credit, Shipping Protection must be included in your order.